Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sickle Cell Reflection Blog

My webtext was on the topic of Sickle Cell Awareness. I chose this topic because I have the Sickle Cell trait which is not the full disease but if I were to have children with some one who either had the disease or the trait, my children would be at higher risk to obtain the full disease. My purpose was to inform people about what the disease is,(an inherited blood disorder that prevents oxygen from being circulated throughout the body). This disease is almost always tested as soon as babies are born so its detected early but in situations that person are not, it is important for one to know their status as either negative, they have the disease or they're like me, and have the trait. For my proposal I used shades of black and green because they went well with my pictures that incorporated red to showcase the blood cells and diagrams for better visuals. I basically started everything with giving them knowledge on what the disease is, then went in who it affects, the problems involved and treatment that is sought after.
For example, I know in the future when I plan to have children, even know with person that I date, my status some how always comes up because I sometimes get sick and I really really get sick and I just give them a heads up on why that happens to me so badly. So they wanna know well how I got it, and if they have children with me would their kids get it and so on. I'm just very proud that I can share this information with more people and so that would understand its affects on those who have it and what it can do to those who have the trait when their immune system goes to work when they have something as small as a cold can hospitalize them as it did me numerous of times before.
I think I would have liked to expand on the treatment section of my webtext more. Because the disease affects the blood which has to be circulated throughout the body, this disease can affect the entire body and your functions. So I did mention it but I was so caught up in talking about what it is and how to prevent it in your children, I had limited information on that aspect. I did enjoy googling the information though. It was interesting to actually see some websites that showed like a picture in motion demonstrating what the sickle cells actually does when it blocks the vessels from their circulating. A lot of websites were geared towards parents and how to deal with their children that had the disease. My recommended readings and the stories of the many different people who lived with the disease was another better example of how some may deal with it. I loved the story about the little girl that had to get her leg amputated because of the disease but overcame and studied and practiced dance. That alone can show that the disease is not crippling but it motivates so to speak.





No comments: